UPDATE: There’s a Photogrammetry bug in locations where there are a lot of Photogrammetry trees, e.g. Atlanta KATL and Boston KBOS area. If experiencing low frames-per-second or stutters at such locations, we recommend disabling the Photogrammetry under OPTIONS – GENERAL – DATA or using the FSBlog’s Remove Trees mod, until this performance bug is someday fixed by Asobo Studio.
After some serious performance drop issues after Sim Update 3, the community around the Microsoft Flight Simulator started to hunt down for all kinds of tweaks to enhance the flying experience. Performance hotfix version 220.127.116.11 did cure the major issues, but there are still stutters at some locations around the world that are to be fixed in future patches. If you find a problematic location during your flying, please report it to the developers. I’ve gathered some of the performance boost tricks here I’ve tested and think you could also try and see if it helps to gain a bit smoother performance and fewer problems at your own risk. If you find out that no change happens to performance, always change the settings you made back to defaults.
- Disable both Game Mode and Hardware-Accelerated GPU Scheduling as instructed.
- Set CPU scheduling to Background services (added to the Virtual Memory section).
- Enable more Virtual Memory to prevent unknown crash-to-desktop issues.
- Disable both HyperThreading and Hardware Virtualization Technology as instructed.
- Disable GPU overclocking, software-based too, can cause crash-to-desktop issues.
- In NVIDIA Control Panel, for MSFS, set Max Frame Rate to 45 FPS.
- In NVIDIA Control Panel, for MSFS, set Threaded Optimization to OFF.
- In NVIDIA Control Panel, for MSFS, set Vertical Sync to ON. In-sim MSFS Vsync to OFF.
- Disable all the unneeded in-sim Toolbar icons by unticking them via the gear wheel icon.
- Re-load your plane in the beginning of a flight using Developer Mode as instructed here.
- Workaround for the default ATC causing stutters during longer flights can be found here.
- Removing the trees with this mod helps the performance in some parts of the world.